Friday, February 22, 2013

Between





Today was a day of in between for me.  A day of welcoming a new little life to the world.  Seeing my friend Carrie's baby boy with in an hour of his birth.  Holding all 6 pounds 15 ounces of him.  Seeing the miracle of life right there in my arms.  He is absolutely perfect.  Such a sweet reminder of God's grace.  




Yet on the way to and from the hospital, I was talking with family from across the country about my precious Grandma.  She's in the hospital in western Nebraska.  She's 95 years old and is not doing well.  I literally ache to be with her right now.  Apparently, she is not able to talk, not able to swallow, not able to get out of bed.  She's had moments of clarity today, but only fleeting ones.  She's lived a life of faithful service to our Heavenly Father, and her room has been full of visitors today.  Each person who came to visit is a tribute to my Grandma's legacy.  She has loved well.   We don't know if tonight will be her last one here on earth.  My Mom and Aunt are by her side.  They've told her it's OK to go home.  Her husband went ahead of her almost 40 years ago. Her first child, Shirley Kay, who died before her second birthday waits for her So many people in heaven are cheering her on.  So many people here are wanting to hang on...but not for her.  For us.  For if she does fly to Jesus tonight...we will grieve.  Yet, we will rejoice.  For in heaven, she will hear again.  Her ears have long since stopped working well. and  I can only imagine how she will smile when she hears her saviors voice.  

My sister quoted a friend of hers, who had lost his wife to cancer.  He said that death is God's final grace.  I've thought of that today.  How it is His Grace that brings us into this world, a testament of His love.  It's also His grace that takes us home.  His grace that throws open the doors of heaven to those who call Him Lord.  His grace that ends our earthly pain and suffering.

Whatever happens, whenever Jesus calls her home, she is ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment