Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bread, Stones and My God of Everything

It is safe to trust Jesus.  It is safe...but it's not easy.  I know that Jesus promises to meet our needs, that He even promises to give "good gifts" to his children.  He says in


Matthew 7:11-Which of you , if his son asks for bread will give him a stone?"
  


So, my question is, what do you do when you feel like He is serving stones and not bread?  What do you do when life does not look the way you thought it would?   When dreams don't play out, when the rug seems to be pulled out from under you...what then?  It can sure feel like a meal of rocks and not bread. 

Perhaps, the meaning has nothing to do with circumstances.  Perhaps, the answer lies in what I decide to pick up.  What I decide to pick up..... What if God, in the midst of the tornado of disillusionment, is still serving bread.  What if it's me that is picking up the stone instead?  What if in the middle of the storm, he's giving me everything I need.  Himself.  Is not my chief end to bring HIM glory?  What if in the middle of the storm I scream out " I Don't UNDERSTAND...but I will  thank you!"    What if the storm has nothing to do with me at all?  What if in choosing bread, it brings Him glory? 

In the night He was betrayed...Jesus took the bread , GAVE THANKS, and broke it.  Jesus...took the bread.  In the midst of turmoil that I can't begin to understand...Jesus took the bread, gave thanks.  He knows...HE knows.....He KNOWS....

If he knows...then I can trust.  I can be assured  that hope in HIM will not disappoint.  I can ask him as I eat the bread, to be the God of my Hope, the God of my need...the God of my everything....


1 comment:

  1. "The Anchor Holds, in spite of the storm!" To the glory of God the Father in Christ Jesus Our LORD!

    ReplyDelete